Sunday, August 3, 2008

The etiquette of the non-plastic tea run

I clunked and clanged my way to work today, weighed down by a bag (reusable of course) containing a sandwich tin, an aluminium water bottle and enamelled camping cup.

tea cupsThe novelty of preparing my lunch the night before is bound to wear off - I'm a far from organised person ordinarily - but maybe having a few spare quid at the end of the week will make it feel worth it.

But even before midday, going plastic-free has thrown up its first conundrum - what to do about the office tea run? Can I accept colleagues' offers of a hot beverage, knowing that it would be in a polystyrene cup from the tea bar?
Obviously not, as my rules state I cannot buy or accept anything packaged in plastic.

But equally this means I can't buy a round either. What to do? Well for today, I will just have to hope that a day of stinginess won't make me a pariah; and as of next week I will be bringing in mugs, teabags and a kettle. Radical.